Friday, June 8, 2018

Prophetic Chickens

I haven't had a lot to say in the past couple weeks - been going through some things.  I've been observing, though, and thinking, not always in a healthy manner, and I want to jot down some fragmentary observations about what I've seen.

1. "prophetic chickens" is a good Google search.
2. There are such things as "good Google searches".
2a. Having said that, when I initially googled it from work I got a lot fewer results about Jesus.
3. The newsfeed is more of a mixed blessing.  I try not to engage with it.  I keep turning my wi-fi off so I don't have to deal with it, and then peeking, and turning back on, like the proverbial child behind the sofa.  A lot of Yeti to be seen out there.
4. I found a guy on slsk who has a big pile of NNB concerts in 24-bit FLAC.  Probably grabbed from punktorrents or the like.  His download speed is shit but at least he doesn't go offline immediately when someone starts downloading from him, or have 0 slots for downloading, like SOME people I could mention who may or may not be the only people with "nhk design ah 2" in their shares.
5. I do mean to at some point start writing again about the stuff I'm listening to.  I have a weekly Internet radio show that nobody listens to, and which is enormous fun - I'd plug it here, might be appropriate - plugging a radio show nobody listens to on a blog nobody reads?
6. The thing is, though Google does know me and play to my prejudices, I am rather fond of my prejudices.  So, since Google knows I used to live in Indiana, I get to occasionally find out things that happen in Indiana, like Indy's involvement in the CrossFit saga.
6a. According to the Root (Google also knows the sources I trust and the sources I don't), CrossFit has been through a bit of a kerfluffle involving Indianapolis.  It seems that a downtown Indy CrossFit had an event scheduled to coincide with Indy Pride, and cancelled it.
6b. A CrossFit executive in some nonspecific capacity I can't quite recall, who was a "Christian" from Alabama, made a number of very specific tweets praising the Indianapolis CrossFit's decision.
6b-1. I have a hard time envisioning a time when I can type the word "Christian" without enclosing it in quotes.
6b-2. I do like nesting, don't I?
6c. I once marched in the Indy pride parade.  It was one of the least radical things I have ever done in my entire life.
6d. The executive was summarily sacked.  The CrossFit was permanently closed the next day.
7. My instinct, as an Oregonian, is to hurl scorn upon Indiana for housing such stupid and malicious people.  We are not very different.  It seems like not a month goes by when some asshole undersuperintendent from Malheur doesn't get sacked out here in Washington County for telling gay students they are going to hell, or some such nonsense.
8. Speaking of malicious and stupid educators, I was also informed that an orchestra teacher in Brownsboro was sacked for refusing to call a trans student by their proper name.
8a. I not only know where Brownsboro is, I've been there numerous times.  I'm a little startled to find that Brownsboro had an orchestra teacher.  My high school didn't have an orchestra teacher.
8b. I like being upset but, I mean, the guy was sacked, and quite rightly so, as a jerk like that has no business posing as a pedagogue.  I'm sure other people are outraged, but those people are blessedly nonexistent in my life.
9. There are things that can be non-blessedly nonexistent in my life.  I told my co-worker, who like me avoids the news, about the CrossFit story and she opined that she would liked to have been informed of that in lieu of the constant stream of stories about tortured kittens which is apparently inflicted on her.
10. Which is to say that these algorithms or heuristics or whatever (this is the big argument I see, people who are mad about the misuse of the word "algorithm" - I have no dog in this fight, having long ago accepted the heretical lie that a "gigabyte" is a billion bytes) which feed me endless crass attempts at emotional manipulation do also have positive value.
11. For instance something, somewhere, decided to show me a story about Nicaragua, where students are apparently being mowed down en masse by what Sandinista! hero and Nicaraguan leader Daniel Ortega insists are right-wing militias.  I'm sure there are a lot of Americans who believe that.  The students being mowed down don't appear to.
12. My darkest worry isn't that this present corruption and oppression will continue indefinitely.  My darkest worry is that we're laying the groundwork for a new Peronism.
13. I also read the local alt papers, although I'm not sure why.  The Portland Mercury has an article about a certain issue.  It is here: https://www.portlandmercury.com/news/2018/06/06/20394535/alt-right-trolls-put-local-businesses-on-edge-for-hosting-reparations-happy-hour
13a. Seattle's "Stranger" also published an article on this issue, the next day.  It is here:
https://www.thestranger.com/slog/2018/06/07/27192471/portland-in-flames-after-alleged-racist-incident-at-vegan-bakery
13b. I try not to have opinions about things which are none of my business, though I often settle for not expressing those opinions.  I will confine myself to noting that these articles are markedly different in both tone and content, which is particularly interesting given that, to the best of my understanding, the Mercury and the Stranger are sister papers.
13c. Also, for anybody concerned about the Stranger's declaration that Portland is "in flames", as far as I know it isn't actually.
14. I have run my mouth off enough for one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment